DVI Communications offers an array of services for IoT applications with focus on smart/LED lighting for towns and commercial buildings, physical surveillance, logistics, e-health, smart cities, smart-energy and home automation applications
Many observers characterize the IoT as the most disruptive technology since the World Wide Web. Market research forecasts regarding the installed base for IoT devices range between 20 and 30 billion devices by 2020, supporting many revenue-generating applications.
Healthcare, transportation logistics, public safety, security and surveillance, smart grids, ‘smart cities’, ‘smart buildings’ and ‘smart energy/green operations’ are just some of the initial targeted applications.
DVI Communications has introduced a number of IoT services to assist technology companies, enterprise users, and service providers to leverage this rapidly-evolving technology. Agility will be key in preparing transaction processing systems, networks, and data analytics to support the avalanche of new smart end-points and traffic that will be generated.
In particular, DVI Communications can assist towns and municipalities in developing implementation plans to convert their street lighting to energy-saving LED-based systems.
The payback of such initiatives can often be as short as 5 years. A municipality of (say) 60,000 inhabitants typically has 6,000 streetlights and may spend in the range of $1M per year on lighting. A conversion to LED street lighting can save in the range of $75 per year per streetlight in energy consumption.
DVI Communications works with towns to assess their environment and develop replacement plans.
Our services also encompass: IoT Industry Tracking, IoT Product Development, IoT Engineering and Development, and IoT Network Support. Specifically, DVI Communications will support stake holders as follows:
IoT Industry Tracking
- IoT white papers/assessments
- Market sizing & research for various IoT segments
- IoT system architectures
- IoT wireless access technologies
- Develop IoT standards and/or contributions to Standards Bodies
IoT Product Development
- IoT business plan for a vertical-application
- Develop products for this space
- Develop new applications
- Review an IoT architecture for validity/cost-effectiveness
- IoT business development for vertical-application
IoT Engineering and Development
- IoT solution engineering, including technology selection
- IoT deployment a vertical-application
- Smart-city design/deployment
- Smart-building design/engineering/deployment (including low-power/LED lighting, environmentals)
- Smart-living design/engineering/deployment (e.g., Ambient and assisted living applications)
- Smart-grid design/engineering/deployment
- E-health design/engineering/deployment (institutional or consumer service)
- Physical security design/engineering/deployment, including video surveillance and other situational awareness applications
- Logistics tracking systems (including satellite-based, LTE/4G, 5G), including design/engineering/deployment
- DHS/public transportation security design/engineering/deployment
IoT Network Support
- Deploy IPv6 networks to support IoT applications
- Fine-tune their networks to support IoT applications, fog computing, and cloud computing
- Deploy large wireless sensor networks
- Develop cybersecurity measures for large/institutional environment
In addition, DVI can assist firms with Intellectual Property and Expert Witness matters (e. g., patent infringement, invalidity or defense) in relation to IoT technologies and systems.
DVI’s Industry Presence in the IoT Arena
DVI has published extensively on the topic of IoT at IEEE Conferences and in books and book chapters, including on the following topics (by way of publication title):
- Book: Building the Internet of Things with IPv6 and MIPv6: The Evolving World of M2M Communications, Wiley 2013
- Book: Innovations in Satellite Communication and Satellite Technology — The Industry Implications of DVB-S2X, High Throughput Satellites, Ultra HD, M2M, and IP, Wiley 2015
- Book: Wireless Sensor Networks: Technology, Protocols, and Applications, Wiley 2007 (referenced by over 1000 researchers, as noted by Google Scholar)
Smart City/Smart Buildings/Energy/Transportation
- IoT-driven Advances in Commercial and Industrial Building Lighting and in Street Lighting, in the upcoming book, Industrial IoT: Challenges, Design Principles, Applications, and Security, Ismail Butun Editor
- Practical Aspects for the Integration of 5G Networks and IoT Applications in Smart Cities Environments, Special Issue of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing entitled “Integration of 5G Networks and Internet of Things for Future Smart City,” August 2019. Hindawi & John Wiley & Sons (https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/5710834).
- Positioning of blockchain mechanisms in IoT-powered smart home systems: A gateway-based approach, Elsevier IoT Journal, Special Issue on IoT Blockchains, November 2019, https://www.sciencedirect.com/
- Ultrawideband (UWB) Technology for Smart Cities IoT Applications, 2018 IEEE International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2) – IEEEE ISC2 2018 – Buildings, Infrastructure, Environment Track, Kansas City, Sept 16-19, 2018
- Blockchain-enabled Fog and Edge Computing: Concepts, Architectures and Smart City Applications. Chapter in book: Blockchain-enabled Fog and Edge Computing: Concepts, Architectures and Applications.
- IoT Applications to Smart Campuses and a Case Study, EAI Endorsed Transactions on Smart Cities, Publisher EAI (European Alliance for Innovation), European Union Digital Library, ISSN 2518-3893 Volume 2. Published 19th Dec 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.4108/eai.19-12-2017.153483. http://eudl.eu/doi/10.4108/eai.19-12-2017.153483
- Internet of Things Applications for Smart Cities. Chapter in Internet of Things A to Z: Technologies and Applications, Chapter 12, IEEE Press/Wiley, June 2018, ISBN-13: 978-1119456742. (https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Internet+of+Things+A+to+Z%3A+Technologies+and+Applications-p-9781119456773)
- Mobile IPv6 Protocols and High Efficiency Video Coding For Smart City IoT Applications. Long Island Stony Brook University Research and Development Park Center of Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT2017). November 7-8, 2017.
- IoT Considerations, Requirements, and Architectures for Smart Buildings – Energy Optimization and Next Generation Building Management Systems (IEEE IoT Journal, February 2017) (see http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/7805265/)
- The Emerging “Energy Internet of Things”.Chapter in Internet of Things A to Z: Technologies and Applications, Chapter 14, IEEE Press/Wiley, June 2018, ISBN-13: 978-1119456742. (https://www.wiley.com/en-us/
Internet+of+Things+A+to+Z%3A+ Technologies+and+Applications- p-9781119456773)
- Implementing the IoT for Renewable energy, Chapter in Internet of Things A to Z: Technologies and Applications, Chapter 15, IEEE Press/Wiley, June 2018, ISBN-13: 978-1119456742. (https://www.wiley.com/en-us/
Internet+of+Things+A+to+Z%3A+ Technologies+and+Applications- p-9781119456773)
- A Review of Wireless and Satellite-based M2M Services in Support of Smart Grids. 1st EAI International Conference on Smart Grid Assisted Internet of Things (SGIoT 2017) July 11–13, 2017, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
- Internet of Things (IoT)-based Apparatus And Method For Rail Crossing Alerting Of Static Or Dynamic Railtrack Intrusions, Proceedings of Joint Rail Conference (JRC), April 4-7, 2017, Philadelphia, PA
- Security Considerations for IoT Support of E-Health Applications, Chapter in Internet of Things: Challenges, Advances and Applications, Chapter 16, Chapman & Hall/CRC Computer and Information Science Series, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, 2018, ISBN 9781498778510. (https://www.crcpress.com/Internet-of-Things/Hassan-Khan-Madani/p/book/9781498778510)
- IoT Considerations, Requirements, and Architectures for Insurance Applications. Chapter in Internet of Things: Challenges, Advances and Applications, Chapter 17, Chapman & Hall/CRC Computer and Information Science Series, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, 2018, ISBN 9781498778510. (https://www.crcpress.com/Internet-of-Things/Hassan-Khan-Madani/p/book/9781498778510)
- Blockchain mechanisms for IoT Security, Elsevier IoT Journal, Issue 1, Volume 1, Summer 2018
- IoT Security (IoTSec) Considerations, Requirements, and Architectures (IEEE CCNC 2017, January 2017) http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7983271/
- IoT Security (IoTSec) Mechanisms For e-Health and Ambient Assisted Living Applications – A Big Data Role, The Second IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Safe, Energy-Aware, & Reliable Connected Health (SEARCH 2017) (collocated with CHASE 2017, Conference on Connected Health: Applications, Systems, and Engineering Technologies)
- (MISERI) Method for a uniform measure and assessment of an institution’s aggregate cyber security risk and of the institution’s cybersecurity confidence index for it and IoT environments (submitted)
Other Emerging IoT Applications
- Multimedia IoT Systems and Applications, (GIoTS-2017), Organized by Mandat International, IEEE IoT TsC, the IoT Forum and IPv6 Forum (collocated with the IoT Week), 6-9 June 2017, Geneva, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8016221/
- MIPv6 in Crowd sending Applications For SloT Environments, Chapter in book: Towards Social Internet of things: Enabling Technologies, Architectures and Applications, R. Bhatnagar Editor, Springer, 2020.https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-24513-9_3
- Energy-Efficient IoT-Based “Black Box” For Aeronautical And Other Applications (submitted)